3 best starters and sides salad dishes (nicely done)
Sides salad you will love
In the previous article, we have discovered the 3 famous classic salad dishes: Salad Nicoise, prawn salad, and Waldorf salad. Today, let’s dig into some best starters and sides salad dishes of all time (hint: in my own opinion only. You may prefer other sides salad dishes.).
Let’s start with:
1. Smoked salmon salad with potato rosti and horseradish cream
- Preparation time: 45 minutes
- Total cooking time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4 as an entrée
- 1 cup (30 g/1 oz) watercress sprigs
- 1 green coral or other loose-leafed lettuce, shredded
- 100 g (7/2 oz) baby rocket, trimmed
- 2 heads of witlof, sliced into 1.5cm (5/8 inche) pieces
- 400 g (13 oz) smoked salmon
- 1/3 cup (80 ml/ 11/4fl oz) cream
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 550 g (1 lb 4 oz) russet or other starchy potatoes, grated
- 1/2 cup (80 g/ 11/4 oz) grated onion
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 40 g (3/2 oz) butter
- Toss all the greens together in a large bowl and set aside.
- To make the horseradish cream, place the cream, red onion, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper in a small saucepan and simmer for 2 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Add the horseradish and remove from the heat.
- To make the rosti, preheat the oven to moderately hot 190-degree Celcius. Whisk the egg and flour together in a bowl .Squeeze any excess moisture out of the potatoes. Stir the potato into the egg mixture, then add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium eat. Form the potato into four even-sized balls. Add the balls in batches and press down with an egg flip to form 10 cm (4 inch) patties. Cook for 4-5 minutes each side, or until deep brown. Transfer to the oven and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the outside is crusty and the inside is soft.
- Just before serving, warm the horseradish cream. Arrange a quarter of the smoked salmon on each plate, with the tips of the salmon slices overlapping in the middle. Place a rosti over the salmon and top with a quarter of the greens Drizzle with horseradish cream and serve.
Nutrition per serve
- Protein: 30 g
- Fat: 26 g
- Carbohydrate: 28 g
- Dietary Fibre: 5 g
- Cholesterol 147 mg
- 1965 kJ (469 Cal)
2. Crab, mango and pasta salad
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Total cooking time: 12 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 150 g (5 oz) rocket
- 125 g (4 oz) dried saffron fettucine
- 125 g (4 oz) dried squid ink fettucine
- 1 mango, cut into thin strips
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 500 g (1 lb) fresh or frozen crab meat
- 1/4 cup (60 ml/ 2 fl oz) olive oil
- 1 table spoon whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon lime oil or grated lime zest
- Trim any long stems from the rocket, rinse and ry. Cook the fettucine in a saucepan of rapidly boiling salted water for 12 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, cool, then return to the saucepan.
- For the dressing, combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and whisk thoroughly. Toss through the cooled fettucine.
- Arrange nests of the fettucine on each serving plate, then top each with some rocket, mango, avocado, red onion and crab meat. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Delicious served with slices of crusty bread.
Nutrition per serve
- Protein: 24.5 g
- Fat: 26.5 g
- Carbohydrate: 50 g
- Dietary Fibre: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 107 mg
- 2255 kJ (540 Cal)
Tags: horseradish cream, potato rosti, salad, salad dish, side salad, smoked salmon salad, starter salad
Categorised in: Blog